Friday, May 15, 2009

John Piper, Jehovah's Witnesses and Pagan Christs

Some time ago, pastor John Piper of Desiring God preached a sermon regarding Obama's stance on abortion and his passing of the "Freedom of Choice Act". There is this very interesting video from Desiring God on youtube containing a snippet of that sermon. Here is that video:



I share John Piper's sentiments regarding this significant moral issue. While I do not hate President Obama, I do disagree with his stance on abortion (as well as various other issues), and I am disappointed that he does not have as much concern for the value and dignity of life as he ought to have.

In other news, somebody at my church was recently confronted by some Jehovah's Witnesses, who passed on a booklet to her entitled "What Does the Bible Really Teach?", in the hopes of converting her. Right now, I have that booklet in my possession, and I need to write a tract responding to the claims presented by the Jehovah's Witnesses so that the person at my church will be able to give a respond to them. I will post a copy of the response here once it is done.

And finally, I just borrowed a book from a public library today. It's "The Pagan Christ" by Tom Harpur. The author is a former Anglican priest who has apostatized and now promotes the hypothesis (yes, I say hypothesis, because that's all that I can call it) that mainstream Christian beliefs regarding Jesus Christ have been copied off of Pagan mythologies. While this view is not accepted by most respectable scholars (folks like Schaff, Kelly, Burridge, Gould, etc.), the theory is nevertheless very popular among the Christian faith's detractors, and I think it would be very helpful if I were to go through this book and critically dissect its contents. As with the Jehovah's Witnesses tract, I will post my comments and rebuttals here on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment